Taking Courses at UConn

Below are the rules for dismissed students who plan to continue taking courses at the University of Connecticut, either in preparation for their return to the University or to transfer to another institution.

  • Coursework taken in the period between dismissal and readmission will be part of the student’s non-degree record.
  • Students must complete a Non-Degree Application. The Non-degree application opens four weeks prior to the beginning of each regular semester.
  • Provided their application is approved, students may then contact a Non-Degree Advisor for permission to take courses. If permission is granted, the advisor will remove the student’s registration hold.
  • With approval and permission, dismissed students may register for a maximum of 8 credits per semester in the Student Administration System.
  • Non-degree registration opens two weeks prior to the beginning of each regular semester.
  • Credits earned during the dismissal period, either at UConn or elsewhere, will be applied to the student’s degree record upon his/her readmission to UConn.
  • Repeat forgiveness rules will apply to non-degree courses once the student is readmitted and the courses are applied to the student’s degree record.
  • Because dismissal decisions are made during the winter and summer, students are often already taking intersession courses when they are dismissed. For information on how summer and/or winter course enrollment affects dismissal decisions and status changes, go to the Summer Winter Page.
  • Ratcliffe-Hicks students seeking readmission should reach out to Kristen Dostaler.