What do I need to know to prepare my appeal?
The dismissal appeal form will be available beginning on Wednesday, May 19, 2021 and can be found here. The deadline to submit appeals is Friday, May 28, 2021. Expedited Appeals are due on Thursday, May 21, 2021.
What questions will I be asked on the dismissal appeal form?
Text of the dismissal form is included below. We encourage you to read through our Tips for a Successful Dismissal Appeal, also linked at the top of this page.
- If you wish to appeal your dismissal decision, please respond to the following prompts thoughtfully and thoroughly. Please provide as many details about your strengths, challenges, and experiences this semester as you are able.
- If appropriate, include official documentation, on letterhead, verifying academic circumstances, by the appeal deadline.
- Describe your academic successes and strengths this semester. What strategies did you employ that allowed you to be successful in some areas? Which strategies were most effective in helping you succeed? What do I need to know to prepare my appeal?
**These might include strategies such as goal-setting, time management, note-taking, joining a study group, etc.
- Summarize any significant academic challenges or specific hardships that you faced this semester that prevented you from improving your academic performance.
- List all of the university resources that you employed this semester to help improve your academic performance. How often did you engage with each of these resources? Which were most effective in helping you succeed?
**These might include resources, people, or things such as faculty members, office hours, mentors, the Academic Achievement Center, UConn Connects, Student Health and Wellness, the Dean of Students Office, tutoring, or many other sources of support available at UConn. Please share specific dates, when possible.
- Did you meet with your advisor or an academic recovery advisor in your advising or student services center this past semester? If yes, when and how often (use specific dates when possible) did you meet with your advisor? What strategies and tools did you discuss implementing this semester to ensure your success?
- What is the most important strategy or immediate steps will you take next semester to effect change, improve your academic status, and build ongoing positive strategies into your plan?